To answer this question, first we should know what is gambling? Gambling or betting as we commonly know is an activity of risking our money or something valuable on an event whose outcome is uncertain in a hope of winning money or prize in return. So when this activity is done online i.e. with the help of Internet it becomes online gambling. Online gambling or Internet gambling whatever we prefer to say includes all sorts of traditional gambling like poker, casino, perang baccarat, or different forms of sports betting played in a virtual environment. Now by virtual environment we mean such an environment which does not exists physically but is created by the help of software to give the same look and feeling like traditional gambling.
Popularity of Online Gambling
Previously we had limited sources of entertainment like televisions, DVD players, etc, but with the advent of technology and Internet gaining huge popularity worldwide changed the idea of entertainment completely. Now listening to music, streaming videos and movies, playing games, or betting on our cards, horses or matches is simply a cakewalk and thus this becomes one of the primary reasons for the popularity of Internet gambling.
But there are several other reasons for its popularity which can be jotted down as below:-
- We don’t need to visit a casino or a race course to gamble, just log in to our system and turn on the Wi-Fi and we are ready.
- Though our chances of winning are low still we get an opportunity to win money from our homes.
- For a newbie online gambling is a boon as it allows them to learn the rules of gambling at an ease without being getting embarrassed.
- Also, with the advent of technology, now days there are special software to create such games which are not possible in a traditional betting.
- Online gambling occurs at a much faster rate than the traditional gambling as everything goes over the Internet.
Gambling in any form whether it is traditional or online is illegal and dangerous. But still if we have the urge to gamble then we should remember that gambling involves the ability to take risk and real money. So, if we are a conscious gambler then online gambling is a great source of entertainment. On the other hand, if we are addicted to it then it will cause only harm and loss.